Thursday, July 16, 2009

Twelfth Night...

Time manages to escape me yet again.

It has been a celebratory week to be sure! Thursday was Richard’s birthday; as such, there was a night of celebrating. Saturday night was the party of the year at my friend Marisa’s apartment. And holy crap, when I say it is the party of the year, I mean it sincerely – we are talking 80 people, likely more. And yesterday marked the start of my birthday celebrations!

Cory Pride Week is here!

Last night was ridiculously amazing. Many people came out to celebrate at Blockheads. We had fun; we drank ritas! It was, undoubtedly, the best birthday party I have had on record. For those of you who could make it, THANK YOU!!! YOU ARE ALL AMAZING!!!

Tonight, I head up to Maine where celebrations will continue there as well as in Boston.

I have been meaning to share with you all my thoughts on The Public Theater’s production of Twelfth Night in Central Park starring Anne Hathaway, Audra McDonald, Julie White and Raul Esparza.

Unfortunately, my review is ill timed, since the production closed on Sunday. Although, The Public certainly needs no words of praise from me in order to boost attendance. This production was a resounding success with both audiences and critics. And with good reason. Twelfth Night was one of the most magical and transformative nights I have experienced in theatre.

Up until very recently, Shakespeare has always intimidated me. I was scared of the language; I would get lost in it. But with the passing of time and growth intellect, I think, I’ve come to really love and appreciate the work. Shakespeare knew his shit. The characters, plots and stories are complex, interesting and more often than not surprisingly timeless and contemporary; proving in some sense, how much people really are fundamentally the same.

The language that used to frighten me so is now the primary reason why I love his work. You have to pay clear attention, and because there is such a contrast between the English spoken today with Elizabethan English. The language requires, for me, a greater suspension of disbelief. When I see a Shakespeare play I am transported into a completely new world and can find myself lost in the story. This feeling is rare in theatre, and so extraordinary.

The entire cast was brilliant. Anne Hathaway really excelled and shined in the role of Viola, performing with confidence and pizzazz. Her performance won me over completely. I entirely entranced by her now and look forward to future work, both on stage and screen.

There really is nothing like watching one of Shakespeare’s sweetest and funniest romantic comedies under the stars. I look forward to seeing Boston’s Shakespeare in the Commons in a couple of weeks – this year is The Comedy of Errors. The only possible negative comment I can make on the subject is that due to the show’s popularity and free admission charge, I did not manage to get in to see Twelfth Night more.

Till we meet again, om, chanti, chanti, chanti, namaste.

1 comment:

  1. to be honest I did not read this entry YET, but I wanted to show my pride/intense love for you by leaving a comment! I cannot WAIT to see you tomorrow!!! HAPPY EARLY BIRTHDAY LOVE!!!!

    ReplyDelete